ABOUT 2022 SEASON FELLOWSHIPS
- the Leon Brady Ensemble (LBE) and the Bill Crain Ensemble (BCE).
Fellowships are available for each of the two ensembles and are awarded to the most qualified musician candidates to fill the following base instrumentation:
- (1) trumpet,
- (1) alto saxophone,
- (1) tenor saxophone,
- (1) trombone,
- (1) piano,
- (1) bassist, and
- (1) drum set.
Ultimately each ensemble this season can be a quintet, sextet, septet, or octet made up of various combinations of instrumentation. Awarding supplemental fellowships for a guitarist, a vibraphonist, a percussionist, and/ or a vocalist to the LBE and/or BCE will only be considered if the candidates are extremely high level musicians.
- Interested? Contact Mr. B with your name, instrument, email address, mobile phone number at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voice mail with your information at (913) 250-5141.
ABOUT 2022 SEASON TIME COMMITMENT + PROGRAM MATRIX
- A professional industry experience designed for our next generation of Jazz artists.
- Sunday evening rehearsals
- Paid concerts in the community
- Original music preparation for recording
- Spring and Summer Season: April, May, June, July.
- Recording sessions are at BRC Audio Productions on the first weekend in August.
- Professional albums released worldwide on the ARC record label.
- Rehearsals are only two hours per week.
- No meeting during 4th of July week.
BOOK YOUR AUDITION TODAY!
Auditions for 2022 Fellowships will be Sunday, February 20 (and if needed, the additional date of Sunday, February 27) from 3pm to 6pm at BRC Audio Productions, studio A, in Kansas City, Kansas.
- We ask everyone to audition each season, regardless if a candidate is a previous Youth Jazz Fellow.
- Auditions historically only take around 15 minutes per candidate for us to assess each artist during the audition.
- Appointments are made on a first confirmed basis. Choose a time and alternate from the available appointments listed below:
THE AUDITION 🎵
We ask prospective fellows to prepare a
- (1) Jazz standard with improvisation,
- (2) Improvise over the F blues form, and
- (3) Play all 12 major scales in 60 seconds.
- (4) We conduct a personal interview that requires a commitment to attending all rehearsals, concerts, and recording sessions.
Drum Set candidates must demonstrate the ability to play all styles and grooves common to Jazz music. Auditions for a Youth Jazz Fellowship are very competitive. Thanks for your interest in Kansas City Area Youth Jazz.
PROGRAM SAFETY INFORMATION
THE LEON BRADY ENSEMBLE AT THE PASEO ACADEMY
Kansas City Public Schools has specific protocols for their facilities.
THE BILL CRAIN ENSEMBLE AT BRC AUDIO PRODUCTIONS
BRC Audio Productions maintains a policy that anyone who has been fully vaccinated should bring their card to the first rehearsal, and they can be unmasked. Anyone not vaccinated yet must be masked up while not playing.
KC Area Youth Jazz Follows COVID-19 Guidelines and Safety Precautions of Kansas, Missouri, and the CDC.
*KANSAS OFFICE OF RECOVERY